Balloon sleeve t-shirt for babies – NUAGE MINI
Nuage Mini is a simple cut t-shirt with balloon sleeves for babies and toddlers from 3 months to 3 years old. It offers two sleeve lengths, short and long. Nuage Mini is completely adapted for babies with a shoulder that opens with snap fasteners to facilitate the baby’s head. Very quick to sew, and rather cute, you will want to sew one per age!
This PDF pattern includes:
- the A4 pattern (9 pages);
- the US letter pattern (9 pages);
- the A0 pattern (1 page);
- a step by step instructions guide with detailed illustrations (7 pages).
All PDFs allow you to print the size(s) you need thanks to the layer functionality in Adobe Acrobat Reader.
The sleeves are gathered at the head and bicep in order to get this balloon shape. This pattern is made to be sewn with an overlocker but it can also be sewn with only a usual sewing machine. Knowing how to use a double needle is a plus. Find my top tips on how to sew knit fabrics at: www.camimade.com/tips-to-sew-knits.
A glossary is available on the website at www.camimade.com/glossary.
Measurements table (cm inches)
Finished garment measurements (cm inches)
*Length at the centre front between the neckline and the hem
Chest 47cm (18 1/2″) – 79cm tall (2’7″). I made all the samples in size 18months.
Suggested fabrics (m yards)
Light to medium weight stretch knit fabrics like cotton jersey, with 40-50% elasticity (10cm of fabric goes up to 14-15cm when stretched). Prefer a fabric with a good recovery rate (that recovers its initial shape after being stretched).
- for a 150cm / 60″ wide fabric: 50cm / 1/2 yd (all sizes)
- for a 115cm / 45″ wide fabric: 50cm / 1/2 yd (3 to 9months) or 65cm / 3/4 yd (12 to 36months)
Samples shown in the pictures
I made both t-shirt in an organic cotton jersey from Stoff & Stil.
- – A twin needle for jersey and a jersey needle for your sewing machine;
- – Interfacting to reinforce the shoulders;
- – 2 snap fasteners;
- – Woven bias tape of approx. 15-20cm x 2.5cm / 6-8″ x 1″ for the inner neckline finish;
- – For the long sleeve version only: a transparent elastic tape, 6mm / 1/4″ wide, for the bicep area.