Midi skirt – AVERSE
Averse is not a classic circle skirt. It has seams following the curves of the hips. The fabric falling from the hips creates the illusion of pleats and gives a wonderful movement to the skirt. The skirt is worn at the waist thanks to a curved waistband and closes with an invisible zip. You can choose between a knee length and a midi length (for a base height of 1.65m or 5’’5).
The pattern includes:
- the A4 pattern (30 pages);
- the US letter pattern (30 pages);
- the A0 pattern (2 pages);
- a step by step instructions guide with detailed hand painted illustrations (8 pages).
All PDFs allow you to print the size(s) you need thanks to the layer functionality in Adobe Acrobat Reader.
The Averse skirt has an invisible zip closure and curvy seams. The fabric cutting part can be a bit tricky and requires a bit of experience manipulating fabric.
A glossary is available on the website at www.camimade.com/glossary.
Measurements table (cm inches)
Height: 1.65m / 5’5”
Finished garment measurements (cm inches)
Waist 68cm (26 ¾”) – hips 91cm (35 ⅞“) – 1.58m tall (5’2”). I made all the samples in size B.
Suggested fabrics (m yards)
Light to medium weight woven fabrics with a nice drape: viscose, modal (tencel), linen, cotton lawn, chambray, etc.
Avoid fabrics with directional prints, because the circle skirt being cut both crosswise and lengthwise will alter the direction of the print in several places.
Avoid fabrics that stretch.
- Knee length skirt : 1.80m/2yds for a 150cm/60″ wide fabric or 2.40m/2 ¾yds for a 115cm/45″ wide fabric
- Midi length skirt : 2.50m/2 ¾yds for a 150cm/60″ wide fabric or 3.30m/3 ½yds for a 115cm/45″ wide fabric
Samples shown in the pictures
I made the midi length grey skirt in Tencel which I bought from Merchant & mills, the knee length khaki skirt is a heavier Tencel from Sew me Sunshine. The polka dots skirt is made in viscose, from Rainbow Fabric Kilburn.
- – A concealed zip approximately 20cm / 8″ long
- – Interfacing, lighter than the fabric for the waistband pieces
- – A hem leveller is a great tool to have as it can level your hem with perfection, but it’s not vital.